Much can be said about joy! The concept of the “Joy
of the Lord” (being our strength) is one in which I find great fascination
(Neh. 8:10). Not only is it the cry of my heart to see God’s people
strengthened, but I also desire to see joy restored to broken lives. While I
was meditating on this verse the other day, I realized that the joy of the Lord could mean one of two
things. It could either mean that we can find strength in the joy that God has given us, or it means we can find
strength in the fact that God has joy
for us and over us (Zeph. 3:17). Meaning, it can be our joy or God’s joy.
Both
of these concepts have consequences, however. If, in fact, our strength comes
from the joy that God has given us,
it seems easy to find strength while upon the mountain top yet difficult while
hidden in the valley. If, though, our strength is to be found in the Lord’s joy
for us, it seems easier to find
strength in the valley than, perhaps, it does upon the mountain. If a mere
mortal as myself had to choose one over the other, I would be in danger of
offering counsel to the Counselor. I prefer, therefore, to accept both.
Besides, is not life composed of seasons and choices (Ecc. 3:1)? Will not the
mountains give way to the valleys, or the valley eventually provide the
gradient for the mountain?
In
either situation, strength is the common denominator. I feel as though a divine
desire can be found in this: God desires to strengthen His people with, or
through, joy. If we can accept both of the above concepts, we can be
strengthened through joy no matter where we are in life. We will be
strengthened by the joy that God has given us, when we dance upon the mountain
summit. Or we will be strengthened by the Lord’s joy for us, even while the
valley walls cast long and daunting shadows.
It
seems to me that the Lord longs to strengthen us no matter where we are – upon
the highest heights or within the lowest lows. Let us be strengthened by the
Lord, dear redeemed! Let us receive the joy of the Lord and be strong. Let us
stand upright though our burdens weigh heavy upon our shoulders. Let us sing a
new song and reveal the joy of the Lord to other weary travelers who may be
stuck in the canyon of despair. Have joy, friend, and be strengthened!
-
Dusty
Please feel free to Comment or ask any questions.
ReplyDelete-Dusty